2.18.2009

The best part

So today is my 32nd birthday. I like birthdays. I'm cool with getting older.

Today, the mark of a good day was this: Joe made me scrambled eggs, I took a long morning shower, we ate lunch at Yesterdog, my mom watched the girls for a few hours so I could go get a coffee, run an errand, do a few things at the house sans children. Many dear friends and family called and loved on me. Joe brought me really funky flowers. My mom made lasagna for dinner. We drank a bit of wine. Watched LOST.

But the best part was clear. A card from Rowan. Her idea. Her words. Her sounding it all out with Grandma before I came home. Her concern that the "M" in mom on the inside wasn't perfect.

Translation: Happy Birthday, you are the bestest mom in the world, Rowan XXXOOO. My favorite part is her version of bestest...in her mind, it sounded out to "bastis." In case you wondered if she still had some southern influence.

I'm proud of my not-quite-4 year old (it's her turn for a birthday on Saturday...she was due to be born on my birthday!), surely, and her growing grasp of language and words...my mom said that the only thing she helped her with was reminding her what sound "th" made.

Mostly, my heart just skips a beat because I'm crazy about this child. And I love being her mom.

2 comments:

KIC said...

Happy Birthday Laura!! Glad you had a fantastic day!

Unknown said...

I hesitate to write because I don't want to ruin what otherwise appears to be a perfectly appropriate gift.

I know of no other way to approach this, so I'm going to just to be direct:

Rowan left off the "i" in birthday.

Sit back down. Breathe. This is not necessarily disastrous. Of course it could indicate hearing loss, dyslexia, some type of heretofore unrecognized auditory processing disorder, or mere laziness, but I would be remiss if I failed to acknowledge what apparently dozens of blog readers have surely noticed, but failed to communicate in love.