5.01.2009

there are so many moments as a mother that i wish someone, paparazzi-like, could snap a quick photo of a sweet interaction, a quickly-passing gesture between me and my girls.

there are times when i try to figure out how to take that photo myself, but i can never manage to hold my clunky camera at the right angle to include me in the picture.

this is the series of photographs from earlier today:

it is this morning, but it could have been any morning, in the early (too early) morning light. the window by our bed is open wide, and fresh, cool air blows carefully over us. a few birds are singing, but otherwise it is quiet.

at some point (i can't remember when, after too many footsteps to the nursery and back) i carry piper to bed with us, too weary to make another trip to her bedroom. i don't know how long she's been with us, but she rouses, and i instinctively, confidently, pull her to me.

we are belly to belly. i'm on my left side, she on her right, mirrors of each other. my left arm rests under and above my head. she doesn't need much help anymore...she's an expert at this nursing thing by now. her mouth makes that sweet O without much effort as she waits for the familiar breast to come near.

i never know what to do with my free arm when we nurse lying down. it always seems to be in the way. this morning, i realize that it finally fits just over her torso, no longer seeming to smother her tiny (not anymore) frame. i lay my right arm there, tugging her closer to me. we fit together perfectly.

just as effortlessly, her left arm springs up in response, she lays her hand on my forearm with purpose. by now my milk has come in, her eyes are heavy with satisfaction. we are intertwined, as close as can be.

her fingers don't stop moving, but her hand stays firmly planted on my arm. keep your arm here, mommy. hold me tight. i am warm, i am safe.

when i finally lift my eyes from this perfect child at my breast, i realize that rowan has also joined us in bed. she has a cold, and had a rough night of sleep. i don't remember when she joined us, either, but i am thankful for a king bed.

rowan is snuggled up really close to her daddy and they are both sleeping, looking surprisingly peaceful after a rough night for everyone. their skin looks smooth and flawless in this early morning light. they are both so warm-blooded, feeling comfortable in this coolness, even with significant amounts of skin exposed to the air. i am thankful for it this morning as i admire the contours of their bodies, not sure where one starts and the other ends.

piper is calm, slips off of my breast. she looks up at me with her big blue eyes. this morning light (ideal for photographs) catches their color and adds sparkle to the full-faced grin she offers, looking me directly in the eye.

we are both weary, surely, after such truncated sleep. and yet, we pass the next hour in bed...cooing quietly, smiling, snuggling, in love with each other....until i know she is ready for her first nap of the morning.

it could have been any morning, filled with actions mostly small, mundane.

of all these actions, i want a photo of her little hand on my arm.

so i won't forget.

2 comments:

Meghan's Musings said...

Wow, that was beautiful. I can't wait to experience that for myself!

Kim said...

Missing you and your poetic nature! Truly beautiful. Almost gives me the baby bug...just almost, though!