10.25.2007

Redwoods: Muir Woods

Today my Mom arrived from Grand Rapids to spend a few days with us. She bought a plane ticket to come out before we even left Jonesboro...we thought we were going to get here by late September or early October, but instead we only beat her here by about a week!

We're glad she's here: we needed some relief with Rowan, and it will be fun to explore the area with my mom for a few days. After I picked her up at the San Francisco airport this morning, we headed to Muir woods for a nice long walk among the giant redwood trees. We saw an owl (watched it for many long minutes as it hunted for rodents along the streams), and a huge group of ladybugs that turned a fence red (Joe later informed us that it was somewhat of an insect lovefest). Rowan seems to be feeling a bit better...by late afternoon (after a nap in the stroller at the redwoods) she was perking up and even insisted on taking Grandma to our "beach" on the river. We've been every day this week so far!

I got pulled over in downtown San Francisco. If you've ever driven there, you'll know that the traffic lights are very inconspicuously placed to the right and left of the intersection--not overhead where they should be. So you have to pay very close attention and trust me, they're easy to miss. Especially when you catch a glimpse of the Golden Gate Bridge and are distracted by a myriad of other sights in such a cool city. I guess I ran a red light. The cop didn't seem very nice, but I was just honest and told him I wasn't from around here and missed it. He let me off with a warning!

I didn't have my camera with me at dinner, but we went to this restaurant in Rio Vista (where we technically live--about 10 min. from the RV) called Foster's. They have one of the biggest collections of large game animals on display in the world. The original owner did lots of big game hunting in the 30s and 40s before it was illegal, and there is an elephant head (yes, a huge elephant head), a giraffe neck and head (one of less than 12 in the world...good thing!), lion, tiger, monkeys, rhinos, hippos, moose, and anything else you can think of. It was kind of spooky, sad, interesting, and hilarious all at the same time. Rowan loved it.

While we were in Grand Rapids, Rowan obsessively wanted to do these 2 large floor puzzles at Grandma and Grandpa's house....every day it was her main request. My mom is an extremely light packer (just had a carry-on)...but she made room for both puzzles in her bag. Needless to say, Rowan was pumped. Doing the floor puzzle with grandma was the end to the best day she's had in over a week!

You can check out a few pics of the redwoods (and the puzzle) here.

No comments: