4.12.2008

Mom and Dad Visit/Yosemite

This post has been a bit delayed because of camera issues. This deserves a whole post, but we traded our camera for a car. Which left me temporarily without a camera (we ordered a new one that arrived a few days ago) for all the fun of my parent's visit. I had to take deep breaths and use their digital camera--a standard point and shoot (thanks for letting me wear that camera out, mom and dad!)--but it just wasn't the same as my camera. Proof positive that having the right equipment is a huge part of taking stellar photos! So anyways, I've been waiting to get the photos downloaded from their camera...and have delayed the blog-writing.

My folks arrived last Friday. Like my sister Jenny, they have made it an unofficial tradition to come visit us during the first part of their Spring Break. Saturday morning we headed out to Yosemite (sans Joe, who stayed back to take a true rest-weekend). Yosemite didn't disappoint. We took hikes that a 3-year old could handle (along with breaks in the back-pack)....and saw some awesome parts of creation. Yosemite Valley inspired much of Ansel Adams' work, as well as the National Parks movement. It's easy to see why. We stayed the night in a nearby hotel so that we could enjoy more hikes and views on Sunday.
Many of my childhood memories are of being outdoors and in the mountains with my family. We took long camping trips out west during many summer vacations. All six of us in one tent. What great memories! I love to be back in those settings with my parents. It was a joy to watch Rowan discover things as we hiked..and to have my mom and dad fully engage with her, teaching and enjoying the company as much as the beauty of our surroundings. My dad in particular had many conversations with Rowan on our hikes...and on the drive back to Stockton, he got stuck in the backseat with her as I drove. For over 2 hours, she just hammered him with questions. "Have you seen Cinderella grandpa? What are the scary parts?" and on and on with each princess she could think of.

Sunday afternoon we arrived back to Stockton, then spent a few days exploring closer to home. We had lunch at that crazy restaurant with all kinds of animal heads, went to a small but very well done zoo in Stockton (Micke Grove), played at a park, and checked out the Stockton's Children's Museum. On Tuesday, at pre-school, my mom read to Rowan's class. My mom is a fabulous reader (former kindergarten teacher and current reading consultant!), and she has started the tradition of reading to each grandchild's classes. Rowan was very excited and very proud to have Grandma there...especially because she is so animated and funny, all the kids just loved it! The photo below is underlit...it was taken while grandma was reading. Rowan's expression says it all. She was so pleased to have grandma read!Tuesday night my parents took Rowan to a movie and back to their hotel with them...so Joe and I could enjoy dinner, a movie, and a kid-free night! It was our first real date in WAY too long! Rowan did great sleeping over with them. It is so easy to leave Rowan with my mom and dad--I know she's going to not only get great care, but probably get better attention and learning opportunities than she does with me. Grandparents are just the best.

Wednesday we went to San Fran, which I talked about in an earlier post, and enjoyed both Ghiradelli's and some classic clam chowder in a bread bowl. My parents love to travel and explore...so it's fun to have a day without any agenda in a city as cool as San Francisco.

I'm always amazed how easy it is to spend time with my parents. The conversation flows easily, we laugh, relax, and always find fun things to do. I not only love them, but I really LIKE them, too.

To see more photos of our time together, click here.

1 comment:

Tom and Stacia said...

You do have really great parents! :-)
Stacia