5.13.2008

Nana's Visit


Joe's mom, or Nana to Rowan, came to visit for the long weekend. We picked her up in Sacramento on Thursday and I returned her to the airport this morning.

We spent some time in Sacramento on Thursday afternoon, then went out to dinner in Stockton at one of our favorite places, CoCoRo. On Friday Rowan and I showed her around Stockton, went to the Children's Museum, and visited the training facility out at the Port.

On Saturday I had to shoot a wedding about an hour away and Joe attended the Modesto Relays. So Nana and Rowan spent the whole day together...a pleasure for both. I had a long day of shooting (gone from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm!) and Joe had a long day at the track...so we were very thankful for Joe's mom being here and taking over childcare! It's such a blessing to leave you child with someone you not only trust entirely, but also know are going to have a mutually good time!

It was especially nice to have family here for Mother's Day. We went to church, ate a quick lunch, then spent the afternoon at this fabulous park in Stockton called Pixie Woods. It was a perfect, sunny, 75 degree day. We ate a yummy lasagna dinner (my favorite) and enjoyed most of Cars on a roommates' Blue Ray player. Not a bad day!

Monday we did a little shopping (Nana treated Rowan to a new swimsuit and some new hats), then Joe and I got to have a date and go out to dinner! That's always a special treat!

Nana made a really beautiful dress for Rowan...pretty blue fabric, twirly skirt like Rowan adores. I love the dress, and so did Rowan. Problem is, Rowan has become hyper-sensitive to how things feel...and while she loved the dress, the way it tied in the back bothered her. Fortunately, Nana got to see over the weekend how sensitive Rowan is to clothing, shoes, socks, and stuff on her hair. Hence the hats. She used to wear ponytails, then decided they didn't feel right. So then it's been barrettes...but lately she is protesting those, too. Her hair gets a bit wild with nothing to hold it back...so every morning I've been giving her a choice: barrettes or a hat. She's been going with the hat most days. Socks are always a hassle in the morning--the seam has to fit just right over her toes or she freaks out. I have about 1o pairs of shoes for her (because I keep trying to find ones that will work)..but she'll only wear 2. I made her try on the swimming suits before we bought one, because I'm learning. She picked one out that she clearly loved (pink with yellow flowers, my girly girl)....but when it was on, she didn't like it. She was conflicted in the dressing room, and summed it up quite well: "I really like this bathing suit, but it just doesn't feel right."

Nana took the dress home with her and is going to alter the back to see if it will suit Rowan's comfort. I can't wait for her to wear it...and I'll post a picture then!

To see more photos of the weekend, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My daughter, who's now 12, developed the same hypesensitivity to so many clothes items starting at about 3 yrs old. In fact, she just started wearing jeans this year because it always had to be covered, loose, elastic waistbands. I thought for a bit she was just being fussy, but I learned. It's great you picked up on it so quickly, Children know what is comfortable on their skin.