5.27.2008

Random Things

I wanted to post a few random photos and give a few random updates....so this is a catch-all post. Joe competed in a decathlon last week in Missouri, hoping to get the qualifier he needs for the Trials. Day 1 went okay, then Day 2 was delayed because of thunderstorms...and the weather never really cooperated...and ultimately it was impossible to get the score he needed after Day 2. So now he is going to compete at a meet in Texas on June 7-8. The pressure is definitely on!

Rowan and I had a great visit from my friend Edye and her daughter Ellyn last week. Edye is a good friend from college and it has been a huge blessing for me to have someone close-by (she lives in Sacramento) that I feel known by! Rowan loves to play with "Baby Ellyn" and luckily Ellyn is a sweet, agreeable child.I've been feeling stir-crazy lately because the weather has been so hot that we've barely gone outside. And I'm not familiar enough with the area yet to have regular outdoor places that I can fall back on....being a delta region, you actually have to seek out wooded areas. I know, I know...we're only a little over an hour from the mountains AND the ocean...but in reality, how often do we get to those places? I need to be outside..I mean REALLY outside, not just a neighborhood park or walk around the block....more than once a month. And I was feeling the lack of it. So we found a park 20 minutes away and took a long hike on Saturday. It was simple, but wonderful. To see just a few more photos of Ellyn and the hike, click here.

1 comment:

jonathandy said...

Hey, you guys don't know me but I came across your blog after Mt. SAC. My wife and I are on a similar journey as you two and have enjoyed identifying with your posts. I'm on my third year of the decathlon (started after college having been a distance runner) and will be at the Texas decathlon next week as well. We are good friends with Mike and Lauri Marsh. I believe Lauri will be at that meet and my wife Sandy will be there as well. God bless you and your endeavors as we draw near to the end of this season. We hope to get acquainted with you both as we shoot for high 7k's in Dallas!

-jonathan