2.03.2009

The M word

When we moved back to MI from CA, we left the veggie oil Mercedes in CA to sell (and finally sold it in early December!) So we have just had the truck...and it wasn't working for us to share one vehicle. For awhile we short-term leased a car from my uncle who owns a car dealership...but once Piper came along, getting 2 kids and car seats in and out of a 4 door was getting old.

Since we were dating I knew that "Mini-Van" was practically a swear word to Joe. It has always represented something bigger than just a family vehicle. He hasn't been able to say exactly what it represents, but I suspect it has something to do with a mini-van not being very macho, or with admitting that your life cannot be managed with any other, cooler car. He always felt like getting a mini-van would be like admitting that you'd given up. He literally has a hard time saying the words "mini-van" and often just refers to it as the "m" word.

I'm with our friend Joel who maintains that getting a mini-van is admitting the ultimate in practicality. I mean, what vehicle uses space as efficiently, is as easy to get car seats in and out of, and still gets okay gas mileage? Okay, maybe a Honda Pilot or some other cool cross-over...but what vehicle for under $5,000 can do all these things? A mini-van can seat-belt at least 7 people, has a roof rack, decent storage room in the back, 2 easy to use sliding doors...and right now you can get a perfectly decent one for well under five grand.

So I finally convinced Joe. He says that his pride is less important than my happiness. What a guy. And we are now the happy (or not so happy) owners of a 2000 Nissan Quest. We got a great deal on it. I'm feeling a bit like a soccer mom, but I'm thrilled. Can't remember ever being so excited about a vehicle, actually. I assured Joe that we do not have to own this vehicle forever...it's just to get us through these years with small children.

Joe called our insurance company to get the mini-van added, and when he told the guy that we needed to add a Nissan Quest, the guy said "oh, I'm sorry man." Just what Joe needed to hear, right? Don't fuel his mini-van snobbery!

Mini-Van drivers unite!

6 comments:

nate said...

We went through the exact same thing after Dominic came along. Felt dirty to be buying a minivan but it ends up being worth it. If it doesn't feel that way right away just wait till you start carpooling other kids around for school events ...

Polly said...

You have crossed over to other side! It is a great place to be! Congrats!

Rachel Whittingham said...

I love my minivan and am proud! It's so convenient! Good for Joe in setting aside his pride. Are you going to make it veggie?

Kristi Barnett said...

HI!I have been introduced to your blog through many of my blogger friends sites here in Jonesboro. I recently became a mini-van convert and must say, I LOVE IT! Wishing you many happy drives!

Kristi Barnett said...

HI!I have been introduced to your blog through many of my blogger friends sites here in Jonesboro. I recently became a mini-van convert and must say, I LOVE IT! Wishing you many happy drives!

bethanyjoy said...

I've been aching for a mini van for a while...I'm not sure Adam cares one way or the other, actually. Hmm. Lucky you!