2.12.2009

Sleeping Like a Baby

It's hard to know what's normal with a newborn. I have taken care of many newborns...been around a lot of nieces, nephews, and friends' babies. But it's not the same as spending 24 hours a day with a baby (especially the night part)...you just see snippets, can never really get a feel for how much sleeping and crying they ACTUALLY do. So I'm not sure what's normal, but I have pondered writing down every 5 minutes of my day and night with exactly what I'm doing and what Piper is doing...and posting that, hoping to compare notes with other moms of newborns.

It's hard to write honestly for a blog, but also take into consideration the varied experiences and filters of potential readers. We have a healthy child...what a blessing. I know people who are struggling to get pregnant, who may never get pregnant. I know people who have children with disabilities or other special needs that far outweigh any challenge that a healthy newborn brings. I know people who have buried their babies. It's hard for me not to think of all of these people when I start to write something that sounds like a complaint. And yet, there ARE real frustrations and challenges with having a newborn, even if they are perfectly healthy. I want to write from a place of real truth and candor about where we are at...but sometimes I'm paralyzed with concern for coming off as ungrateful.

I am not ungrateful. Just tired.

We've had some really calm, nice times with Piper. She can be really smiley, and can zone out for several minutes just looking at the ceiling or someone moving their hand. She is cooing, and gives these huge smiles, tongue out, when someone earnestly talks to her and looks in her eyes. And during the day, she'll usually take at least one nap (provided we don't try to move her to the car) that lasts 2 or even 3 hours. So that's a huge break. She loves to have her diaper changed (loves the nakedness, just like her big sister)...and oftentimes, the solution to her crying is to just lay her down and take her clothes off. Then she can be very calm, smiley, and content. These moments are precious.

These moments do not happen in the car, ever. Occasionally she's fallen asleep or stayed asleep when I've transferred her to the car, but this is the exception. If she's awake in the car, she's crying. Usually it's crying escalating to screaming escalating to full-body thrashing. I've had to train Rowan to force herself to laugh when Piper really gets going in the car...otherwise we'd all be crying. Rowan is doing a good job. I'm trying. It makes us really consider whether a trip to ANYWHERE is worth it.

And she's sleeping like a baby...if sleeping like a baby means waking every few hours, plus having several hours at some point in the middle of the night when she's grunting, waking every 5 or 10 minutes (although she is trying to sleep), and generally so uncomfortable that we don't sleep. Where did we ever get the phrase "slept like a baby?"

There was one night last week that felt like hope: she fell asleep on my chest around 12:45 AM, I was able to get comfortable in bed, and she slept until 6:15 AM. So we'll get there eventually. I won't be awake from 1:00-5:00 AM trying to keep my 5 year old calm. I have to always use the 5 year rule...."in five years"...and then I feel more sane.

For now, we're trying to figure out why she's having these spells of grunting...right in the middle of the night, usually somewhere around 3 or 4 and lasting until morning. she seems to be sleeping through most of the grunting, but will also wake/cry out frequently in the midst of it. I'm keeping track of everything I eat and at what time...and we have found no correlations. We've tried every sleep position and situation possible...in the bassinet on her back, on her side, even desperately tried her belly. In the car seat next to the bed (which has worked the best), in bed with us, actually on our body, or next to us...nestled in the middle of the boppy, in the crook of the couch. She's been wrapped like a burrito, left in a diaper to be skin-to-skin, left out to flail, left to cry (not for very long yet...I just don't see the purpose or justice in letting a newborn cry (without comforting!) for very long. Plus our babies just seem to get ramped up after 5 or 10 minutes of being left to cry...and then take SO long to calm back down. We'll eventually just let her cry for longer and longer periods...but not in these first months.)

Apparently if a mother makes a lot of milk and has a forceful let-down (I have both), it can lead to gassiness and fussiness because the baby ends up swallowing so much air to keep up with the flow of milk. I have already naturally done the things to correct this: only nursing her on one side at a feeding, frequent burping, catching some of the first milk in a burp cloth until it tames down. Plus, she doesn't have long spells of gas and discomfort during the day...it's just at night.

So if anyone has any advice, we'd welcome it. I feel pretty educated on most things baby, but I'd also love to have an "aha" moment that leads to better sleep for all.

And in the end, we may just have to endure for awhile.

One request: please do not suggest giving this child baby cereal to calm her tummy. Not gonna do that. Breast-feeding is a fragile endeavor. It's beautiful, and I love it, but it is also a lot of work and responsibility. A breast-feeding mom needs encouragement, not the nagging sense that her milk isn't sufficient. I'm done with questioning whether my milk is enough, or is causing some horrible reaction (I am willing to eliminate foods from my diet, and already have). Supplementing breast milk seems to be a popular idea to ease fussiness and get a baby to sleep longer at night---if you're interested to know why giving cereal (or other solids) is not the best idea at such a young age, here's why you shouldn't.

Our days have been good, albeit loud, thanks in no small part to Rowan's flexibility and sweetness when it comes to Piper and Piper's fussiness. I also seem to have a bigger dose of patience than I remember having when Rowan was a baby. Maybe because I know how it all turns out in the end...with Rowan, I probably had this nagging sense somewhere deep down that I would be walking, swaying, and shushing for the rest of my life. Now I know that I get this cool little person at the end of it.

So there is a lot of crying...a lot of attempts at comforting...a lot of times of not knowing what the heck is wrong. A lot of me telling Rowan that she has to wait a minute. Again, thank goodness for her sweetness! Oh, and for PBS.

In non-baby news, our house is coming right along...it's beautiful! We are eager to move in...and while Joe has said he is no longer giving time estimates, it seems like the upstairs is within weeks of being completed. I can't wait to post some photos---soon, I promise! I want to wait until it's all cleaned up and finished. We're looking forward to setting up our own home again--it's been awhile.

To see a few more pics of the girls, click here.

5 comments:

Mick Montgomery said...

You are not alone.

Jenny and I had the exact same experience with our son. I was in the same position you were trying to ask the world for any answers as to why our son would only sleep for 3-4 hour stretches, and on bad nights he'd wake up literally ever hour. Sometimes we too would have that magical night, where he would sleep six to seven hours, but they were rare gifts. We thought we were not doing enough, or maybe we should just let him cry it out. However, as I sought out more advice and the experience of other parents with new borns, I found out something... no one's kid sleeps through the night. I would talk to a parent that would say, oh, yeah, my kid sleeps from 7pm - 7am. When I would press them and ask if they kid ever woke up for a feeding, they would eventually go, oh yeah, they do that 2 or 3 times, but it's short. The only other parents I know who had newborns sleep through the night, were parents who chose to let their kids cry themselves to sleep.

I became frustrated because for many people a 'baby who sleeps through the night' is just some sort of accomplishment and treated like a great badge of parenting, and that if you can't get the kid to sleep, you're doing something wrong. I would have people ask me how my Son was, and then the very next sentence was, "Does he sleep through the night yet?" I would say to myself, "Why do you care? Look at the bags under my eyes! Do you think he sleeps through the night?" It also doesn't help that there are well received books out there that tout that children "can and should" be sleeping through the night.

I've come to learn this is just another example of placing unreasonable expectations on both ourselves as parents and our children.

As a father, I have come to understand that my child is who who is, and sleeps how he sleeps, and we have settled into a rhythm accepting the ebbs and flows of where he is right now.

I know, This comment offers you no real advice like: Swaddle Her More, or Massage her Temples before bed, or any of the six zillion things we tried, because none of those really worked. We did as you are doing. We put in a lot of effort trying things only to find out we had to just adjust.

However, I completely and utterly sympathize with how incredibly stressful it is to struggle with this issue, and we want you to know, at least one set of parents out there went through this exact thing. This is very hard to deal with and you're definitely not alone in it.

Andy said...

Laura -- I'm right there with you! When we were at this point w/Cora, I literally thought I was going to die from lack of sleep. Whenever anyone told me that it would get better, I wanted to punch them! :o)

Anyways, have you looked into the possibility that she might have reflux? Cora had it and she would do the same sort of grunting thing at night -- supposedly it's because the milk is coming back up causing congestion. I quit eating/drinking milk products because that can come through the breast milk and cause more irritation. Also, I took enzymes and gave Cora baby enzymes to help with digestion. What really helped a lot is putting her on Zantac. I wasn't thrilled with doing it, but I researched it and there are minimal side effects. As soon as we gave her the first does, she slept for 8 hours straight!

Let me know if you want anymore info. I have tons of it!

Praying for you!
Andy

Unknown said...

Praying for you friend! Hang in there!

moljoe said...

Hi--

So, you really don't know me. Well, actually, I think we have met before or maybe it's because I've heard so many great things about you that I think we've met!

Either way, I'm Sarah Bruinooge's friend from Grinnell College. Sarah passed on to me the link for your blog, since she thought I'd be interested in seeing your beautiful kids and offering my story about the sleep issues my family has faced.

Two words for you that changed our lives: Cranio-Sacral Therapy (or maybe that's 3 words?!)

Here's our story:
Kai, who is now 2, was born into this world in such a sweet, calm, and intentional way. He spent the first two weeks in peace and happiness...then, it all started. We could not get him to sleep well or to stop crying. I'm serious-- he cried every minute he was awake. It was hard beyond words. All I wanted for him was peace. I couldn't figure out why he didn't have it.

We did everything (similar to your story)--swaddling, skin-to-skin, eliminated dairy, sugar, gluten from my diet, tried reflux medicine, put him on the dryer to sleep, bounced him on the exercise ball, sat in the bathroom with the shower going, gave him warm baths, walked up and down the stairs, put him in the car, put him in the stroller, put him in the baby carrier- ok, you get it.

It is even humorous now looking back. We would have friends come over to take shifts walking up and down our stairs. This gave Kai a bit of relief. It was really the only thing in the beginning. It was the middle of the winter and we would all be in shorts and t-shirts sweating while walking up and down. Joe, my husband, would log in hours in the middle of the night. The good news was that we got in great shape!

We finally went to a lactation consultant to see if maybe I was doing something "wrong" with nursing.

The morning we went to the appointment stands out in my mind very clearly. I remember sitting on the kitchen floor crying, with Kai next to me in the moses basket crying. I was eating cold chili for lunch, since it seemed too hard to heat up (yeah, I was having a very low day). Now, I'm not one to do a lot of praying, but that day, I said out loud, "Ok, God, you gotta help me. I'm not sure how much longer this is going to go on. What am I going to do?" I was hoping Kai would instantly stop crying and this would be my miracle...but, it didn't happen...yet.

My mom came along to the lactation appointment since driving with Kai was the worse thing ever (just like with Piper). The lactation consultant said everything was fine-- but, she said we should go see a cranio-sacral therapist. I had no idea what that was and while I am open to alternative medicine, it sounded a little too woo-woo even for me. But, she insisted. She thought it would bring relief.

On the way home from the appointment, I checked my phone messages. A friend called to say her friend thought seeing a cranio-sacral therapist might help. It helped with her daughter. She told me the name of the best one in Minneapolis. I still wasn't sold. We were broke and I couldn't imagine getting in the car to get Kai there.

After checking my messages, we stopped at a restaurant to get some food (who had time for cooking?) My mom insisted I take a walk while the Thai food came. I know I looked as bad as I felt and some fresh air would do me good. Kai was around 3 months at this time.

On the walk, I saw a funky house for sale and stopped to pick up a flyer about it (I love seeing how much houses cost in our neighborhood). While I was walking I read the flyer and saw that the house was really an alternative health clinic and it was being sold by the owner. Guess who owned it? The cranio-sacral therapist who had just been mentioned on my phone message.

I came back to my mom and said maybe this was my answer and we should give it a try.

Well, to make a story longer (sorry, way too long for your blog!), we did go and it brought immediate relief!!!!!

After the first session, Kai seemed more relax and happy. But, it ramped up again and I thought it wasn't going to be our long-term solution. But, then, we saw her again and his relief lasted a few more days. He was seriously a brand new baby. I was crying all of the time because I was so happy and relieved. Then, we saw her a third time and the relief was for over a week. Well, after 5 sessions, Kai was happy!!!

I'm not going to try to explain "CST" to you, since I don't do a good job of it. I know it's gentle and very respectful. Google it on the internet if you don't know much about it.

Kai's situation had to do probably with the position he was in the womb--but, really, it was amazing!

We still struggle with Kai and his sleep. But, heck, that is just who he is. He is a very sensitive boy (this is so good!) So is his kindness and compassion. Friends always say we should have or should let Kai cry it out, but this doesn't work for our little guy. The more he cries, the more he is awake and upset. But, this same sensitivity is what makes his Montessori teacher comment that Kai is the most empathetic two year old she has ever met!

I guess my point is that now we know that Kai's personality is just a bit more sensitive than most average kids. So, I'm sure this contributed to his unhappiness and crying, but I know that it was more than just his personality. He was feeling discomfort and needed a little help!

Good luck! I know how hard it is- we are sending good energy your way!

Hope this helps!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I clicked to your blog via other blogs and have always enjoyed reading about your adorable family. I'm not a Mom, so I don't have any wisdom for you. But, just hang in there and I hope I can be as good a Mom as you are someday!!